Yesterday I spent the day exploring Auschwitz 1 and 2 Birkenau. The day was very heavy and draining to say the least. I will post up a photo essay walking you through the experience when I have computer access. Here is a powerful quote that has been resonating with me throughout my time here.
“The one who does not remember history is bound to live through it again.” -George Santayana
I have been to the most famous Holocaust museums in the World such as Yad Vashem as well the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in DC. They are very educational and powerful but none can compare to physically being in the camps themselves. there is huge feeling of fear that keeps rising the further you go into the camps. One of the only modern renovations to the exterior was actually the grass and trees that surround the concentration camp grounds. There was no greenery but only dirt and rock because the Nazis feared the jews would get an ounce of nutrition or sustenance from eating the grass and they didn't want to take the chance of them surviving. I've always considered myself well versed in Jewish History and especially of the World War two, and I have learned a tremendous amount in just the few hours I went there. More to come on that..
No comments:
Post a Comment